‘Exploring our legal relationship with the living world: Caring for Country, Rights of Nature and Legal Personhood for Nature‘
Griffith Ecocentre, Griffith University, Nathan Campus (map)
This 2-Day International Symposium features international and national speakers from the judiciary, legal profession, academia and First Nations communities.
Head to the International Symposium page on the Australian Earth Laws Alliance website for program and registration details.
Speakers include the following:
- The Hon. Justice Brian Preston – Chief Judge of the NSW Land and Environment Court
- Associate Adjunct Professor Mary Graham – University of Queensland and Kombu-merri First Nations Peoples
- Professor Irene Watson – Professor of Law and Pro Vice Chancellor Aboriginal Leadership and Strategy, , University of South Australia Business School. Professor Watson belongs to the Tanganekald, Meintangk Boandik First Nations Peoples, of the Coorong and the south east of South Australia (via internet)
- Cormac Cullinan – South African Lawyer, author of Wild Law and Executive Committee of the Global Alliance for the Rights of Nature
- Professor Klaus Bosselmann – University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Professor Jacinta Ruru – Otago University Law School and Co-Director of Nga Pae o te Maramatanga, New Zealand’s Maori Centre of Research Excellence. Jacinta is Māori, of Raukawa, Ngāti Ranginui and Ngāti Maniapoto descent.
- Mari Margil – Attorney and International Programs, Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund (CELDF) – (via internet)
- Katy Gwiazdon – Executive Director, Center for Environmental Ethics and Law, USA
- Dr Anne Poelina – Managing Director of Madjulla Inc.; a Nyikina Traditional Custodian from the Mardoowarra, Lower Fitzroy River in the West Kimberley region of Western Australia; and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow with Notre Dame University
- Hugo Echeverria – Lawyer, Ecuador
- Dr Virginia Marshall – Australian National University and author of “Overturning Aqua Nullius”
- Dr Geoff Garver – McGill University, Canada (via internet)
- Ross Williams – Bindal/Juru First Nations Peoples
- Dr Erin O’Donnell – Melbourne Law School, Australia
- Valentine Nona – Djiru First Nations Peoples